The New Hampshire Department of Transportation Research Unit is located in the Bureau of Materials & Research. Our mission is to improve the transportation system and services provided to the State of New Hampshire through research and innovation, and to facilitate the implementation and delivery of beneficial technologies.
Here at NHDOT, transportation research occurs at the state, regional, and national levels. Funded by NHDOT and the State Planning & Research Part II (SPR2), an annual Federal-aid research grant program, the Work Program includes:
- NHDOT research projects,
- National projects including Transportation Pooled Fund projects and AASHTO Technical Service Programs, and
- Support of Transportation Research Board (TRB) that includes the National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP).
Explore current and completed Research Projects through reports, technical briefs, and posters, that provide valuable information on the active and completed research has been performed on NHDOT research projects. Our researchers represent a variety of entities from academia, public organizations, private companies, and in-house DOT personnel.
Our Research Project Map Viewer is a source for information on completed transportation research projects, including experimental features, miscellaneous problem solving.
Transportation pooled-fund studies enable the New Hampshire DOT to leverage its research funding by partnering with other States and FHWA to address common research needs. New Hampshire's participation in pooled funds can be accessed through the Transportation Pooled Fund website.
Our Decade of Innovations Viewer provides information on how NHDOT has incorporated innovative solutions into transportation projects. Color coded by benefit area, this tool will lead the viewer to information on more than 100 instances of innovations that have been implemented in New Hampshire.
The annual newsletter, Focus on Research, provides an overview of the broad impact of NHDOT's research program.
How are Research Suggestions submitted?
The program relies on input from NHDOT employees. Your ideas for future research can turn NHDOT problems into solutions. Topic areas to consider span the array of things that we do in all areas of transportation including Aeronautics, Bridges, Construction, Environment, Geotechnical, Maintenance, Materials, Pavements, Traffic, and Mobility
Do you have:
- an idea that needs to be researched?
- a process that needs to be evaluated?
- a product that needs to be tested?
Download a Research Project Suggestion Form in Research FAQs.
For more information on the NHDOT Research Program, please contact:
- Deirdre Nash, Research Engineer, (603) 271-1659, firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to Additional Transportation Research Information
These links are to external sites and are not intended to reflect endorsement of any products or services offered by those sources. Provided for convenience only, NHDOT is not responsible for and does not in any way guarantee the accuracy of information on the sites accessible through the following links.
- National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP)
- AASHTO Research Committees (R&I RAC)
- AASHTO Innovation Initiative (AII)
- Other AASHTO Programs
Conduct a Literature Search
Other Research-Related Links
- Transportation Research Board (TRB)
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Research
- New England Transportation Consortium (NETC)
- Transportation Pooled Fund (TPF) Program
- State DOTs - Research Web sites
- RMRC - Recycled Materials Resource Center at U of Wisconsin-Madison
- UNH T2 (LTAP) Center
- University of New Hampshire (UNH) Civil Engineering
- US Army Cold Regions Research & Engineering Laboratory (CRREL)